Re: W3W and Bobby Validation

From: <JAMESICUS@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:01:50 EDT
To: www-validator@w3.org
CC: allans@thad.demon.co.uk
This is an addendum to my previous reply, Allan.

I should have mentioned that Valid HTML/XHTML is indeed an essential
component of Web Accessibility Compliance.

In a message dated 7/9/01 10:19:26 AM US Mountain Standard Time, you wrote:

>  Bobby Approved status is assigned on the basis of Priority 1 items in
>  the Web Content Guidelines. For a higher level of accessibility you may
>  also want to examine Priority 2 and Priority 3 items. 1 Priority 3
>  issue(s) that Bobby has identified are presented below.
>
>     1.Identify the language of the text. (1 instance)
>       Line 4:
>
>  It suggests the following as the format for resolving this problem:-
>

>  However if I put this attribute in then Bobby gives the following
>  message:-
>
>  5.Unknown attribute LANG in element HEAD. for browser(s): Explorer4.01
>  (1 instance)
>       Line 6: <HEAD lang="en">
>
>  Why would a suggested solution create another error????

The language designation should be part of the html tag preceding the head
tag as follows:

James Pickering
Tucson, Arizona

(LMS steam railway enthusiast)

All Web pages Accessible to People with Disabilities

Tools for Web Page Authors
http://www.brazilcacticult.org/wf.htm

Practical Italic Writing
http://www.brazilcacticult.org/corsiva.htm