Error in validator?

From: Eric Meyer <emeyer@netscape.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 17:26:59 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
Greetings all,

   I've only just subscribed, but I did search the archives before
posting-- so my profound apologies if this has been discussed in the
past, and I failed to turn up the evidence.
   Anyway, a teammate has uncovered what we're pretty sure is a bug in
validator centered on the case of ID names.  I've created a simple test
page:

   <URL:http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/tests/val-casetest.html>

According to HTML 4.01, section 7.5.2, HTML ID (as well as class) names
are case-sensitive, so this page shouldn't have triggered any errors.
 Or have I misunderstood some subtle interaction between specifications?
 It wouldn't be the first time...

--
Eric A. Meyer ......................... emeyer@netscape.com
Standards Evangelist .................. http://developer.netscape.com/