Re: € (was: link check)

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 23:44:42 +0900
To: Frank Ellermann <Frank.Ellermann@t-online.de>, Terje Bless <link@tss.no>, Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0004@earth.li>, Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Hello Frank,

&#128; and &#131;, with or without an explicit charset,
is wild abuse. These are not what you mean, independent
of the charset. &#128; is an undefined control character.
&#131; is NBH (no break here) (see
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf). All numeric
character references refer to Unicode, since HTML 2.0,
even if some older browsers don't do that correctly.

Actually, although strictly speaking, the character numbers
in the &#x80; - &#x9F; range are legal in XML
(see http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-Char), I'm thinking
about checking them in the validator because using them
(as something that they are not) is a very frequent mistake.

Regards,   Martin.