Re: CVS information

From: Brian Gilkison (gilkison@one.net)
Date: Thu, Mar 08 2001

    From: "Brian Gilkison" <gilkison@one.net>
    To: <www-validator@w3.org>
    Date: 	Thu, 8 Mar 2001 22:32:08 -0500
    Subject: Re: CVS information

    > > Rest assured, if you see a large number of messages from me in any given
    > > time frame, it's usually about getting the Validator to work on NT again
    > > after some code changes have been made.
    >
    > I'd really like to get this fixed once and for all, but I don't have an NT
    > box at the moment. I'll try to get one set up sometime, but no guarantees.

    I'm happy to be a tester in the Win32 realm -- I think I've been that all
    along, as it seems my Perl skills are not much good otherwise :)

    > Text::Iconv is just a Perl wrapper for the iconv(3) functions from glibc;
    > the GNU C Library. These aren't available on Windoze so it will never work
    > there. However, if you have Cygwin running, it provides glibc so if it's
    up
    > to date it might work. At least version 2.1.something I think.

    After several unsuccessful attempts at building it myself (hey, I'm a Domino
    developer, not a C++ programmer), I sent a request to the Perl Win32 mailing
    list (Perl-Win32-Users@listserv.ActiveState.com), and someone from
    ActiveState was kind enough to build a PPM package for Text::Iconv.  I
    installed it earlier this evening, and it appears to be working as it should
    be, although if someone could share a URL I can hit to verify the
    Text::Iconv functions are working, I'd appreciate it.  If anyone else wants
    it, the package is accessible from
    http://activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.6plus/Text-Iconv.ppd.

    > Did you get Cygwin running?

    Short answer -- yes.  Long answer -- yes, but I have no idea what to do
    about the error messages I was getting when I attempted to build Text::Iconv
    or libiconv from source...

    > An alternative is to disable the Iconv routines on Windoze and declare
    > charset conversion non-functional on that platform. Since SP has it's own
    > charset routines this should actually work most of the time in practice,

    See above...

    Brian