Can someone please explain that error

From: Dirk Foersterling <milliByte@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 06:12:50 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

I submitted my Page to the html-validator. Besides some hints and
errors I understand, there also appears the following error:

               Error: document type does not allow element "UL" here;
               missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON"

The validator tells me it assumes HTML 4.01. I cannot find anything
about the missing start tags for <UL> in the HTML 4.01 specs. So what am
I missing?

                   D i r k   F "o r s t e r l i n g
  milliByte@gmx.net  ********  http://www.DeathsDoor.com/milliByte/
"Das soll man alles nicht so ernst nehmen wie es gekocht wird." - R.K.