Re: XHTML Basic

Terje Bless wrote:

> [ Moving to www-html as per mimasa's request.                       ]
> [                                                                   ]
> [ BTW, I miss newsgroups! Anyone at W3 up for setting up a gateway? ]
>
> On 02.01.01 at 10:12, Shane P. McCarron <shane@aptest.com> wrote:
>
> >I think that Masa may have confused some people here:
> >
> >Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:
> >>
> >> Also note that in the XHTML Basic specification, the "id" attribute is
> >> NOT used on the "a" element, but on other elements like "h2" and "dt".
> >
> >To be clear, the source of the XHTML Basic document never uses the id
> >attribute on the "a" element as an anchor point, instead relying upon
> >the id attribute of elements like h2 and dt.  This is because some older
> >browsers do not support the HTML 4 required behavior of permitting the
> >id attribute of the "a" element to be an anchor.
>
> Are you trying to say that "While `idŽ /can/ be used on `AŽ, it's not
> necessary as it was with `<A name="foo">Ž, and some browsers do not support
> it, so XHTML Basic _prefers_ that you place `idŽ attributes on other
> elements to achieve the same effect"? It sounds like both you and Masayasu
> Ishikawa[0] are saying that `<A id="foo">Ž is actually illegal in XHTML
> Basic, and I assume that's incorrect?

No.  We are saying nothing of the kind.  I don't know how to make this
clearer, but I will try...

In XHTML Basic there is no name attribute for the a element.  Therefore,
you must use the id attribute to a when defining an anchor point in a document.

Unfortunately, this does not work with some older browsers.

To get around this, the XHTML Basic specification, which itself is
written in XHTML Basic, does not use the a element to define anchors.
Instead, it uses other elements such as h2 and dt and THEIR id attributes.

> [0] - Is "Masa" the correct shortening or is that overly familiar?
>       With English names I have a vague idea, but with Japanese(?)
>       I'm way out of my dept. Would Masayasu-san be correct or have
>       I seen too many bad WWII movies? :-)

Don't know on this - sorry.