RE: HTML validator

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 23:18:07 +0000 (GMT)
To: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
cc: Robert Neff <rneff@bbnow.net>, W3c-Wai-Ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Terje Bless wrote:

> The option to check against arbitrary DTDs is on the TODO and a patch to
> implement it is in the queue, but hasn't been approved and applied to the
> live service as of yet. IOW it's in progress and will show up eventually.

Such a patch can be implemented on (at least) two levels.  A simple
hack in the CGI script can insert an arbitrary doctype declaration
before feeding the document to the validator: crude, but effective
if you're stuck with a Perl/CGI wrapper for nsgmls.

Alternatively, a DTD could be hacked up with marked sections to
include or ignore different DTDs.  I'm interested in this approach
because of the fine control it could (in principle) give to turn
individual fragments on or off in the context of validating for
accessibility.  If anyone's got a patch of this kind, I'd be
interested to hear from you, as it remains on my to-do list.

--
Nick Kew