Re: "valid [X]HTML x.x!" icons are Evil

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Frank Tiggelaar wrote:

> I wonder if this was a bug. If I run a page which no longer validates on
> the W3C page through Page Valet I get a "Character Set Not specified;
> using UTF-8" message, which is what I expect the W3C validator must have
> done in the past. (ex: http://www.domovina.net/index_srebrenica.html)

Thanks for reminding me of that.  I've updated Page Valet to add a new
and more explicit processing message about this, but it will still
proceed to validate (provisionally) as UTF-8.

> Fortunately the Euro currency (EUR) will *not* be invalidated by a number
> of recently-found flaws in the system: the media discovered that most
> slot machines in Europe will accept Thai 10 Bath coins as EUR 2.00 coins
> (10 Bath equals EUR .25). Yet the EUR-introduction will take place in ten
> days. A system works as long as people have confidence in it  :-)

That's an interesting one!  Many years ago I recollect a similar thing
with the DM and the UK 5p coin (about one fifth of the value).

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>