UTF-8

From: Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:11:36 +0000
To: www-validator@w3.org
W3C colleagues,

I have a lot of pages with a few Latin 1 (non ASCII) characters in
them. I want to convert them all to UTF-8. This isn't always
straightforward.

Where the Validator fails BADLY is that if I am converting to UTF-8
and I miss one of the characters (usually this means there is a
single Latin 1 character in the file instead of a pair) I get a very
unhelpful message like this:

"Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 63 it
contained some byte(s) that I cannot interpret as utf-8. Please check
both the content of the file and the character encoding indication. "

But the Validator is broken. It doesn't display the source, and so I
have NO IDEA how to find line 63.

If W3C wants us to use UTF-8, this tool needs to be fixed ASAP. I
heard a rumour that no one has worked on the Validator for quite a
while, but a fix on this particular point would really help.
--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com