Re: Wrong character encoding detect for XHTML

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 23:22:06 +0900 (JST)
To: huftis@bigfoot.com
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> It *also* happens when 'text/xml' is used:
>
> The validator here says:
> 'Detected Character Encoding: iso-8859-1'

I agree that this behavior is wrong.

> But even when 'text/html' is used, the document is not
> a conformant (I won't use the word 'valid' here) XHTML 1.0
> or 1.1 document. Both standards say:
>
>         Such a declaration is required when the character
>         encoding of the document is other than the default
>         UTF-8 or UTF-16.

Which is being clarified in the XHTML 1.0 Second Edition to say:

    Such a declaration is required when the character encoding of
    the document is other than the default UTF-8 or UTF-16 and no
    encoding was determined by a higher-level protocol.

  cf. http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xhtml1-20011004/#strict

Errata/new edition of XHTML 1.1 is in order.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium