Re: Bug : Validator doesn't "see" the </em> end tag

From: Peter K. Sheerin <pete@petesguide.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:13:44 -0700
To: <norbert@globenet.org>, <www-validator@w3.org>
> Rhetorical question anyway : is the DTD right in allowing <em> tags be
> nested ? I wonder what it means writing a text <em>emphasized, <em>more
> emphasized and <em>even more... %-)

There is actually an important use for this. If I write the code:

The <em>New York Times</em> is a good newspaper.

Then the paper name will be emphasized (italicized), with the surrounding
text normal.

If I write this code:

The nesting means that the sentence itself will be italicized, while the
paper name will appear as normal text, so that it is still emphasized
relative to the surrounding text. This is a standard typographical
convention.