Re: DTD problem, or validator problem?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:04:03 +0200
To: Matthew Wickline <wickline_m@pcfnotes1.wustl.edu>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org, Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0005@earth.li>
* Matthew Wickline wrote:
>So, in an HTML 4.01 document,
>
>    <hr />
>
>*should* be interpreted as a horizontal rule element followed by an
>(improperly) unescaped greater than sign?

*Must* be interpreted as such and the '>' *doesn't need* to be escaped.

>In that case, shouldn't the validator be giving an error that I've got
>unescaped greater than signs in the body of the HTML?

No. http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ will however _warn_ you,
that you are using a net-enabled start tag.

>...or am I still missing something here? Is the escaping of [<>"&] not a
>part of the DTD, but one of those things which is specified in non-DTD
>fashion in accompanying text or something, and therefor not something
>the validator can conveniently address?

The document type definition (DTD) contains definitions for

  * which elements are available
  * how these elements may/must be nested
  * what attributes they may/must take
  * what attribute values are allowed