Re: validation problem with nested lists

From: Lloyd Wood <l.wood@eim.surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:29:11 +0100 (BST)
To: Robert Latham <r.latham@miscapital.com>
cc: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Robert Latham wrote:

> The following  nested list refuses to validate, with a missing < li> tag
> error message at start of line 6. However if  I delete the </li> tag from
> the end of line 5 it validates fine! Is this me being dim or a bug?

You being dim.

If you're nesting list structures, you need to start the new list
inside a list element of the outer list:

note how the opening and closing tags alternate...

(I've spent the last few years getting people here to hand-maintain
pages of complex nested list structures that they're responsible for.
It's been hell. I've given up on the idea of <p></p> as just too
tricky to ever get across.)