Re: Suggestion: Check elment first, attribute second

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 11:50:55 +0900
To: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce@obviously.com>, Christian Smith <csmith@barebones.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
At 04:11 01/08/02 -0400, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>The validator could declare "I don't know what a script looks like in terms of
>syntax" and ignore everything inside the <SCRIPT> container.  This matches
>what a browser does, since it hands the <SCRIPT> to a seperate interpreter.
>
>         <SCRIPT language="linenoise">
>                 *(@(*#&(@#&(@#@^%^%#@#@{@#@}#@}#{@}]{@}{#}@#{@&%%%%%;!<<!
>         </SCRIPT>
>
>Only a valid </SCRIPT> would end the exclusion block.

Up to and including HTML 4, <script> is declared as CDATA (rather
than PCDATA), so more or less that's what should happen. You would have
to check the SGML standard to find the exact conditions of ending the
element. I'm quite sure that a single '<' isn't enough.

For XHTML, you have to use a CDATA marked section, or have to use
character escapes such as &lt;. No way around that if you want it
to be XML.

Regards,    Martin.