(unknown charset) Re: Warn about unknown parameters

From: (unknown charset) Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 05:06:03 +0100 (BST)
To: (unknown charset) Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
cc: (unknown charset) W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
> Waitaminute... We end up requesting a different page and that page happens
> to be invalid?

Yep.

>	 So the extra params aren't affecting _our_ behaviour, it's
> the _lack_ of params that makes the _validated_ server change _it's_
> «behaviour»?

No.  Validator requests wrong page.  Validator's fault.

>	 IOW, it's not an error in the Validator -- the error lies with
> the user failing to escape CGI params

By what standard is ;1 a CGI param?  Not by anything official.

>	 -- it's just that it would be a
> usefull feature to actually give a warning about it to make the user aware
> that s/he needs to escape these characters?

Yes, we complain of unknown entities.  But that is not the issue here.

Indeed there is only one issue: does a character need URLEscaping?
*  If yes, then we should complain of the URL, not the document
*  If no, then the author is fully entitled to use it and expect
   user agents to cope.

Both the Valet and the WDG Validator are happy with
http://www.art-emilio.de/galerie.shtml?Acryl;1

--
Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>