Re: German_Umlauts

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Rainer Ziener wrote:

> My question concerns German Umlauts and other specicial characters.
> For the normal ampersand the validator gives an error and I have to
> write
> & or &. But if I write German Umlauts or so, the I donīt get
> any error from the validator. But some browsers display wrongly such
> characters.

Even if you include the charset parameter of the Content-Type header?
What browsers do that?

> Therefore I propose, to include the correct HTML spelling of umlauts
> and other special characters into your validation service.

There's nothing wrong with using the 8-bit ISO-8859-1 encoding of a letter
with an umlaut as long as you specify your charset as ISO-8859-1.  (For
information on specifying the charset, see
<http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/charset.html>.)

--
Liam Quinn