Re: Producing an XML report from the validator

On Wednesday, June 13, 2001 at 12:44 PM, nick@webthing.com (Nick Kew) wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Esmond Walshe wrote:
>
> > I am just wondering if there has been any work done on, or is
> > currently being done on getting the validator to produce XML output.
>
> What purpose do you envisage this XML serving?
>
> I have prototyped a version of the Page Valet - a service essentially
> equivalent to the W3C validator - that produces XML.  However, it is
> not part of any publicly available service, nor would it be useful
> with a standard web browser.

I don't know why Esmond wants this but I can tell you how I would make
use of this.

I'd like to be able to send data to the validator from an application
(not a web browser) and get back a response in XML format which I can
then parse and do something useful with. In my specific case I would
parse out the errors into an internal error list format and then
generate an error browser. With the current output of the validator this
is not really possible (or at least not easily accomplished) but if the
data were returned in a suitable XML format this would be almost trivial.

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com

He who dies with the most friends... Is still dead!