Re: Dubious validator error. Validator bug or what ?

On Wednesday, May 30, 2001 at 5:57 AM, andreip@rnc.ro (sysadmin) wrote:

> Lookig at:

>                         ^
> The validator said:     |
>                         ^
> Error: invalid comment declaration; check your comment syntax
>
> ???
> What comment ???  That wasn't any comment, it was just an ascii-art
> arrow made out of three dashes and a GT sign (properly encoded
> as &gt;).
>
> Care to take a look ?

Post the URL for the page. My bet is that you have a comment earlier in
the page which is not properly formed.

> P.S. Experienced a maybe similar problem with MSIE, in an url like
> http://server.na.me/cgi-bin/cgi-name?x=y&currentdate=today&z=t
> it improperly replaced &curren with asc($)+128.

This is why you need to entity encode the & in the URL when the URL is
used as the value of an href attribute.

The correct format would be

http://server.na.me/cgi-bin/cgi-name?x=y&amp;currentdate=today&z=t

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com

He who dies with the most friends... Is still dead!