RE: iso-8859-1-Windows-3.1-Latin-1

Terje wrote:

> Ok, I wanted this figured out once and for all, so I went straight to the
> source and grabbed the Microsoftie of record, Chris Wendt. According to
> him, iso-8859-1-Windows-3.1-Latin-1 is a strict subset of windows-1252.
> IOW, you can simply change your charset to windows-1252 and be both
> standards compliant and use your fancy apostrophe.

I understood that ’ etc. were not valid SGML (or XML) entities, so
regardless of your declared charset code using them cannot be valid.  The
validator's output supports this.  If ’ were used instead it would be
valid, right?  The entity refers to the character set (UNICODE) not the
encode (Windows-1252, Latin-1, whatever).

OTOH, with the encoding properly declared the character could be input
directly (not escaped with ’) and you would be valid, just not
cross-platform accessible.  You'd probably be noncompliant with WCAG, but
not be invalid.

If I'm misunderstanding this please set me straight because I've got to
cover this in a seminar I'm preparing -- I have to explain to folks why the
validator pukes on ’ etc.

Cheers,

Thanasis Kinias
Information Dissemination Team, Information Technology
Arizona State University
Tempe, Ariz., U.S.A.

Qui nos rodunt confundantur
et cum iustis non scribantur.