Re: XHTML validator doesn't completely support Unicode

From: Christian Smith <csmith@barebones.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:12:24 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
cc: Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow@bertilo.se.fm>, psheerin@cmp.com, Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
On Sunday, April 29, 2001 at 21:33, liam@htmlhelp.com (Liam Quinn) wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Bertilo Wennergren wrote:
>
> > Peter Sheerin:
> >
> > > Take a look at http://www.petesguide.com/style/index.html, and then
> > > follow the icon link to the validator, and watch what it reports. The
> > > text file is encoded in UTF-8, and uses the DOS end of line
> > > conventions, but has the Unicode string "U+FEFF" as the first character.
> >
> > Are you sure it's the end of line characters that give the problem?
> >
> > I'd guess it's the BOM ("U+FEFF") that's the culprit. It's not very
> > common to use a BOM in UTF-8 files. Some even say it's not allowed
> > in UTF-8.

I think the problem is that you are using the wrong BOM. FEFF is the
UTF-16 BOM whereas the UTF-8 BOM is EF BB BF.

> According to <http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq/utf_bom.html#25>, the BOM
> is allowed in UTF-8.  Strange that the UTF-8 RFC makes no mention of it
> though.

I think it does in a round about sort of way. If you encode the UTF-16 BOM
via the UTF-8 encoding method don't you get the UTF-8 BOM?

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com

He who dies with the most friends... Is still dead!