Re: Batch Checking of HTML Files

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 23:50:28 +0200
To: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Cc: Jarrod Dieppa <JDIEPPA@mbakercorp.com>, www-validator@w3.org
On 29.04.01 at 17:01, Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Jarrod Dieppa wrote:
>
>> Is there some application available for downloading that accurately
>> checks multiple pages to HTML 4.01 Transitional Standards? I've been
>> looking around but I can't find an assessment that is accurate. Do you
>> have any suggestions?
>
>You didn't specify what platform you're using.  In addition to the Windows
>validator that Terje suggested, there's a Unix option at
>
>http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/offline/

Doh! I keep forgetting about the Offline version of the WDG Validator. :-(

If you're working on Mac OS I heartily reccomend the excellent BBEdit from
Bare Bones Software <URL:http://www.barebones.com/>. It's commercial and
doesn't do true validation, but it uses internal syntax tables derived from
the W3C Recommendations and in my experience is about as correct as you can
possibly get without doing full SGML validation[0].

BTW, if anyone knows of other tools -- for whatever platform! -- that do
good syntax checking and/or Validation, I'd love to get a pointer
(off-list, probably) so I know where to send people when the on-line tools
for some reason aren't appropriate or optimal.

[0] - Cue Chris on the various added features it has that cannot be
      implemented in a pure SGML Validator. Hi Chris! :-)