Re: 8-bit chars in US-ASCII documents (was Re: Embarrassing typo!)

On 21.04.01 at 13:21, Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com> wrote:

>The 8-bit character is an error, but it's an error in a similar way to
>including <a href="foo bar"> in an HTML document.  URIs can't contain
>spaces, but HTML validators don't complain.

I'm leaning towards Björn's interpretation here. An 8bit char in a 7bit
ASCII document is an error and should be reported and make the
interpretation of the rest of the document entity suspect. Maybe this is
really a double-byte encoding that only happens to have most MSB's MSb off
(Most Significant (Byte|bit)).

If I can figure out some way to catch this I think I'll make it generate an
error or at the very least a warning.