Re: Iconv vs. Unicode::* (was Re: several fixes)

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:49:23 -0400 (EDT)
To: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Terje Bless wrote:

> On 18.04.01 at 12:47, Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com> wrote:
>
> >There's also a Unicode::Map that was developed separately from
> >Unicode::Map8.  I chose Unicode::Map8 since it seemed to cover more
> >encodings at the time, although I don't think that Unicode::Map has
> >limited itself to single-byte encodings.
>
> I saw Unicode::Map pass by on Use Perl;, but I haven't had time to look at
> it yet. I have more pressing issues to deal with before revisiting the
> charset stuff.

I had another look at the Unicode::* stuff today, and found a new
Unicode::MapUTF8 module that provides a common interface to Unicode::Map8,
Unicode::Map (including the important Chinese encodings), and Jcode
(Japanese encodings).  I think I would switch to using this for the WDG
HTML Validator except that EUC_KR support seems to be missing, and so I'd
still need to bother with CJKVconv.pl or something similar.

--
Liam Quinn