Re: several fixes

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Terje Bless wrote:

> >  * valid HTML and use of "constants" for redirect_to_home_page()
>
> Thanks! This should have been fixed ages ago. (Brian, didn't you suggest we
> fix this a while back? cf. the UNIX->NT thread?)

Sort of; it wasn't directly related to the UNIX->NT thread, but rather to
generalize the Validator such that image tags, etc. were pulling images
from wherever a local copy of the validator may be running, as opposed to
grabbing them from the W3C servers -- my original quote was: "I would call
it more of a "courtesy" patch -- if you're going to make your own copy of
the validator accessible, serve the images from your own
server!" (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2001JanMar/0222.html).

I haven't looked at Bjorn's code; my patch dealt with expanding the use of
$abs_svc_uri -- the current version of 'check' defines it (somewhere
around line 69), then uses it *once* (~line 199), to tell the user when
they've attempted to use a non "http://" URL.  Yet many instances of
'http://validator.w3.org/' remain throughout the script.

I presume from Bjorn's original message that his patch and mine had/have
some overlap in this regard...

Brian