Re: checklink: thrown off by newlines in tags

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:45:04 -0400
To: Charlie Halpern-Hamu <charlie@IncrementalDevelopment.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
* Charlie Halpern-Hamu <charlie@IncrementalDevelopment.com> [2001-04-12 07:59-0400]
> It appears that a newline means that an anchor is not recognized:
>         <a
>         name="x">
>
> Here is the example I encountered:
>
> http://www.compuserve.ca/cpeh/forums/arts/artslinks.html
[..]

I haven't looked at it carefully (and I don't have time before at
least a week), but it looks like a problem with the parsing of your
HMTL. Excerpt: "<!----begin  Music  links------->". This is not
valid[1] HTML. In order for the link checker properly, the mark-up
should be valid.

If the mark-up is not valid, it is not guaranteed that it's going to
work. It is not guaranteed that it's going to work for valid HTML
either. ;-)

  1. http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.compuserve.ca/cpeh/forums/arts/artslinks.html
--
Hugo Haas - W3C