Re: XHTML strict.dtd

From: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0003@earth.li>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 23:20:10 +0000 (UTC)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: <DGCM300@dshs.wa.gov>
At 2001-04-06T18:39-0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:-

> Forwarded from Duane Gallaher (DGCM300@dshs.wa.gov)

> > This is the example of a link I have in my document: <a
> > href="http://validator.w3.org/check/referer" target="_blank">XHTML
> > Validator</a>
> > The validator always returns this error when the dtd is set to 'Strict':
> > Error: element "a" not allowed here; possible cause is an inline element
> > containing a block-level element (The indicator is located under the '>'
> > before the link text)
> > Anyway, I'd appreciate any information you have on why the link above is in
> > error.

It's hard to tell why you might be getting that error without a concrete
example - i.e. where "here" is. The parse tree provided by the validator
can often be revealing when looking for the source of this sort of error.

However, the anchor element does not have a target attribute in the strict
DTD. If this error is being mistakenly reported as above, then there is
clearly a problem with the validator. (I consider this moderately
unlikely, but not entirely implausible.)

(target="_blank" is also slightly bad for accessiblity reasons, but that's
off-topic here.)

Tim Bagot