Re: UTF-8 with Unicode line separator and BOM

On 23.10.00 at 13:41, Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org> wrote:

>We are planning to enhance support for various character encodings,
>by converting them to UTF-8 before validation.  Similarly, BOM in
>UTF-8 could be removed before validation so that SP won't be barfing
>on it.

Hmmm, I spy, with my little eye, something beginning with a Slippery Slope!
I'd be very weary of modifying the input before it's fed to the SGML
Parser. As a temporary workaround to a problem with the parser, sure, but
not to rely on for normal operation. If you alter the charset you are no
longer validating what's on the actual server but rather "somthing" that
only has meaning within the Validator. The BOM is the same principle, but
easier to do right in practice (I /think/).

It's sorta like running HTML through Tidy _before_ SP and then report "All
is Well" to the user. :-)

--
As a cat owner, I know this for a fact...
Nothing says "I love you" like a decapitated gopher on your front porch.