Re: Should Relative URL in format 'http:g/' validate

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:57:52 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Paul Gammans <paul.gammans@brunel.ac.uk>
On 25.10.00 at 09:17, Paul Gammans <paul.gammans@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:

>i was supprised to find that the the Reletive URLs in the page validate,
>they are in the format 'http:g/' [...]
>My question is was it a delibrate desision to allow this to validate
>this or is this not in the scope of this validater or a buglet.

The Validator doesn't parse URIs. It merely checks that no illegal
characters are present in the "href" attribute and does not even try to
check whether it conforms to proper URI syntax.

This is something that would be desireable to do at some future time, but
no specific plans exist at this point.

>i hope this is the write place to ask this question.

It is.

--
As a cat owner, I know this for a fact...
Nothing says "I love you" like a decapitated gopher on your front porch.