Re: sugggestion: HTML 4.01 as default

From: Christian Smith <csmith@barebones.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 08:18:50 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
On Saturday, October 21, 2000 at 13:49, bertilow@hem.passagen.se (Bertilo Wennergren) wrote:

> Gerald Oskoboiny:
>
> > > with a document that doesn't have a doctype the validator validates
> > > against HTML 4 and I would like to suggest to use HTML 4.01 in that
> > > case
>
> > Good idea, done.
>
> Good. Now, approximately when will it be a good idea to make this default
> to XHTML 1.0, the current HTML recommendation?

Why is this even an issue? Both HTML 4.0.x and XHTML 1.0 REQUIRE the
presence of a DOCTYPE. If the DOCTYPE is missing the file is not valid.
Simple as that, no?

I can see where it would be useful to have a default language setting in
editing tools so that the software can know what language to use when
editing things like include files and other partial documents but you
shouldn't ever be feeding anything but a full X/HTML document to the
validator so there should always be a DOCTYPE.

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com
PGP Fingerprint  -  60E5 2216 97D2 1D1A B923 F036 00A9 CEC0 D411 FA89