Re: Document type: unknown

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:36:34 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
Cc: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@exch1.rhbnc.ac.uk>
At 17:44 +0100 20.10.00, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>Having decided that the only way I can live with Dreamweaver's insertion
>of the "marginheight", "marginwidth", "topmargin" and "leftmargin"
>attributes for the <body> tag is to modify the DTD to legitimise these,
>I am perplexed that the validator now says that it is "Document type: unknown"
>rather than echoing the name given in the ENTITY declaration :
>
>	<!ENTITY % HTML.Version "-//RHBNC//DTD HTML 4.01 Augmented//EN"
>
>Is it possible to persuade the validator to identify the document
>type correctly?

It's possible, sure, but I'm not sure it'll get done any time soon.

The "Document Type" as reported is a "nice" name for a given FPI that
we have a mapping for. It's a manual mapping and not one determined
on the fly from the chosen DTD. Given that it would also be quite a
bit of work to make it extract the FPI and display that instead for
unknown Document Types -- and I'm not convinced of it's wide
applicability -- it's not apt to be very high on the list of
priorities.

It's a good idea though, and -- as an unnamed QA Engineer I know has
been known to say -- "Thanks for your feedback on this.". :-)