Re: More On the Semantic Web (or: is RDF any good?)

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 17:22:36 -0600
To: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>, "'www-rdf-interest@w3.org'" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, <www-validator@w3.org>
William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net> wrote:

> Using RDF it should be possible without a whole lot of "nittering" for me
> to create a Web site in XHTML that contained an "assertion" that the site:

Assertions in XHTML is easy -- all we need is for the vocabulary to be
defined.

> 1) validated its XHTML/CSS components ("generated by tidy",etc.);

Hmm, this would be a good thing for the W3C to pursue. It'd be nice if the
validator not only provided a Web badge, but also a little snippet of RDF to
insert to state the document was validated. I'm CC-ing the www-validator
list, but could responses their please also reply to me, because I'm not a
subscriber.

First, however, the W3C would have to define a URI for validation status.
I'm sure the proper person for that job is somewhere on this list.

> 2) was
> "published" on a particular date by the person whose email address is
> love26@gorge.net;

This looks like a job for: Dublin Core!

http://purl.org/DC/documents/rec-dces-19990702.htm

> 3) IMHO was AAA conformant to W3C/WAI's WCAG 1.0, i.e. it
> had incorporated all the Priority 1,2, and 3 items therein.

Again, another job for the W3C to define a URI for.

> After several years of wrangling about syntax, logic, etc. can this fairly
> simple task be done today?

Much of it...

> If it can be done but takes excessive
> "nerdliness" then can anyone around here make it into something that a
> senior citizen can just do by inserting my email address (I think the date
> could be automated?), and a check box to set the
> conformance level I claim.

This would not be too hard, and once the W3C provides the URIs for these
attributes, I'd be willing to set up such a system, or at least a demo. I'll
probably forget though, so email me to remind me.

Thanks,