validator barfs on Netscape Composer output

From: Phil Burk <philburk@softsynth.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:29:26 -0500 (EST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

I use Netscape Composer to edit my web pages. I tried to use the W3C
validator to look for broken links on my web site. But unfortunately,
the W3C validator generated a HUGE number of errors for my page. So many
errors, in fact, that I have more doubts about the validator than I do
about the Netscape editor.

The first thing it rejects is the DOCTYPE. Netscape puts this at the

The W3C validator completely freaked out over it so I replaced it with

   <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"

I guess the validator is case sensitive!

Once I got past that hurdle, the validator complained about having COLS
in my table tag. It also complained about stuff like size=+1. Now maybe
this stuff is technically illegal but the web pages seem to work.

So my suggestions are:
1) correct the validator for things like case sensitive DOCTYPE
2) beat up Netscape to stop them from PRODUCING illegal code in their
3) provide a "forgiving" or "non-anal" option in the validator that
passes commonly used code that is technically illegal. Only report truly
broken stuff.

Phil Burk