Re: Ampersands + "Last modified:" Malfunctions

From: Jim Correia <correia@barebones.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 15:17:18 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
cc: "Alan C. Baird" <ia@apc.net>
On 12:39 PM 6/3/00 "Alan C. Baird" <ia@apc.net> wrote:

> > To avoid problems with both validators and browsers, always use
> > &amp; in place of &:

> However, many CGI engines will not accept &amp; - and rather than
> forcing all those webmasters out there to stop programming in the
> commonly-accepted fashion, why not change the validator to accept
> ampersands, when they're embedded in anchor tags?  Half my pages
> won't validate correctly, because I've linked to CGI sites which
> operate only with ampersands.  It seems like we've got the cart
> before the horse, here.  ;-)

The CGI engine *does not* have to accept &amp;  It should never see it.
The user-agent, the browser, should decode all the entities in the
attribute value before sending the HTTP request.  If it is not doing so,
then it is broken.

Jim Correia                                Bare Bones Software, Inc.
correia@barebones.com                     <http://web.barebones.com>