Validating HTML Pages

From: Lynda French <canada20001@home.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 00:38:34 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Hi Gerald,

    I'm confused about something that's come up with the HTML Validation service.

    I submitted a page (http://www.members.home.net/canada20001) and got the response "Sorry, I can't validate this page" so I clicked on the validation logo to get more information and got a new screen saying "Congratulations, this document validates as HTML 4.0 Transitional!"

    I'm using deprecated tags in my pages because they work - once I can be sure all the browsers are meeting the 4.0 standards I'll switch from <embed> to <object> (for example) but for now I'm using the tags that will display all the page elements.

    I'd like to post the validation logo but I'm concerned about that first response. I have a lot of respect for the W3C and the work you are doing and don't want to use something I'm not entitled to.

    I hope you can help me out on this. I do appreciate your time and I expect you get tons of mail!

Thanks,
Lynda French