correction (was Re: HTML DTD)

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:58:28 -0700
To: Adrien Zamani <azamani@design-matters.com>, www-validator@w3.org
In my last post I wrote that the image input type was invalid in W3C HTML. pdf@bizfon.com corrected me - it is valid (thanks!). But height, width, and border attributes for it are not. I got confused. Apart from the incremental rendering hit that the lack of h/w entails, Netscape 4.x defaults to drawing a border around such inputs, which sort of ruins the slick visuals the typically Photoshop-dependent "Web designer" intends. The DTD I referenced permits all the workarounds required to save your job in this situation and still write "valid", broadly compatible markup.
Todd Fahrner
Web UI Technologist