Re: XHTML bugs

JakieChan wrote:

> Under 3.1.1 of the XHTML recomendation, it says you
> are allowed (encouraged even) to include an XML
> declaration. The validator doesn't agree.

I have successfully validated documents that use the xml declaration.

> The same example shows the !DOCUMENT entity with a
> relative URI:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
> Strict//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
>
> The validator doesn't like that either.
>
> It validates http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/ so I guess
> this must be a bug when using the upload file service?

the xhtml1 draft does not use an xml declaration because of a horrible
bug in the Macintosh version 4.5 of Internet Explorer.  Newer documents
the HTML working group has produced do use xml declarations, and they
work fine with the validator.

As to the relative path problem, this is an issue that the working group
has struggled with.  The SYSTEM identifier for an DOCTYPE should point
to a DTD. However, if the PUBLIC portion is a well known FPI, the
validator will use its local copy of the DTD rather than trying to
follow the SYSTEM identifier.  So an uploaded or local document that
uses a SYSTEM identifier of "foo" but uses a W3C-defined FPI should
validate without error.  At least, that is how it works for me.