weblint option in the validator (was Re: validator bugs (incorrect passes))

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 01:23:22PM -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
> At 03:42 AM 1/30/2000 , Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
> >Also, it suggests I should use WIDTH and HEIGHT tags for IMG, but if I add
> >them, then it tells me it's not valid HTML 2.0 (so why suggest it in the
> >first place) ?  Those problems are new (well, since the last time I used
> >the service, maybe 6 months or so). NB: I have always run in pedantic
> >mode and with the weblint results. Without, maybe you don't see the errors
> >and you validate incorrect code!
>
> Weblint isn't a good judge anymore of what's correct or incorrect.
> You should ignore nearly everything weblint says, and I argue that it
> should be removed completely from the Validator's options.

I removed the weblint options from the form on the home page, and
put a blurb at the top of the weblint section in the report:

    Note: Weblint is a useful HTML syntax and style checker, but
    does not do true HTML validation. Also, the version of
    weblint used by this service has not been updated for some
    time, so some of the messages below may be misleading or
    inaccurate.

(feedback/improvements welcome)

--
Gerald Oskoboiny       <gerald@w3.org>  +1 617 253 2920