Re: XHTML

From: <JAMESICUS@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:34:11 EST
To: www-validator@w3.org
In a message dated 1/31/00 12:26:06 PM US Mountain Standard Time, Keith Bowes
wrote:

>  There's been a lot of arguments for and against XHTML on this list
>  lately, but I'd like to tell you about something that happened to me.
>  I just converted my personal web site from HTML 4.01 to XHTML 1.0 and
>  everything worked fine on my computer.  Then, I uploaded the pages and
>  validated them (they all validated).

I did the same thing, Keith - five different web sites consisting of a total
of 98 pages. I utilized Dave Raggett's utility TIDY, via HTML-KIT, to
accomplish the transition.

>  Then, I started Internet Explorer 5 and went to my site.  I clicked on a
>  link, that's when the browser crashed.  I repeated the test- it happened
>  again.  I tried it on Netscape-  it looked Netscapish (ie, terrible),
>  but didn't crash.

I had exactly the opposite experience as you, Keith - all my pages display
and function as designed in various iterations and versions of Internet
Explorer (including version 5.0), Netscape Navigator, Opera, Web-TV, Lynx and
the Speach/Braille Browsers of a Deafblind Internet friend of mine.

James Pickering
Tucson, Arizona
jamesicus@aol.com

 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/jamesicus/wf.htm">Tools and Information for