RE: Possible bug

From: Brian Gilkison <gilkison@one.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:01:47 -0500
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Cc: <bv@opera.no>
Bjørn,

> For two different sites I have tried to validate, the validator has
> treated the page as XML. Looking at the page source, they have both
> looked like HTML to me, albeit lacking the DTD declaration. Besides,
> they were server with the MIME-type "text/html". The last (and
> probably easiest to check) was at www.gilde.no/.

I can safely say from experience that the HTML that Lotus Notes/Domino
generates is NOTORIOUSLY invalid, if left to its own devices (LotusScript
agents are a different matter, since you completely control the HTML
output).

There were a large number of errors generated when I checked the URL you
gave; my first recommendation would be to change the arguments separator on
your agent URLs to something other than "&", possible ";" as the HTML docs
elsewhere suggest.  This results in a large number of errors of the format
"Error: reference not terminated by refc delimiter"; if you were trying for
HTML4 validation, I'd point you to
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/appendix/notes.html#h-B.2.2, as the error
described there seems to be just as valid on XML...

Brian Gilkison
gilkison@one.net