RE: Off Topic -- Hard hyphen?

From: <Jukka.Korpela@hut.fi>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:27:28 +0200 (EET)
To: www-validator@w3.org
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Martin J. Duerst wrote:

> >From a recent private communication:
>
> > > Do you want to say that the W3C validator does not complain about
> > > &#146;? In that case, it has to be fixed!
> >
> > Absolutely the W3C validator does not complain about &#146; -- I validate
> > all my pages!
>
> I haven't verified this, but if this is true, it is a major bug in
> our validator. Can somebody check/confirm/deny/fix?

I can confirm that the validator does not report &#146; as an error.

This is not a bug, though.

I have never really understood the issue in detail, but I believe
people like Arjun Ray have. See e.g.
http://www.deja.com/=dnc/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=323090408
which explains that references like &#146; are _undefined_,
not invalid.

So technically, &#146; is not a reportable markup error. Just a
construct with undefined meaning. As far as I can see, a document
containing &#146; is not even incorrect by the prose parts of HTML
specifications, but neither do they assign any meaning to it.

By the way, &#146; is assumably intended to produce a right single quote,
not "hard hyphen". (Rhetorical question: What is a hard hyphen, anyway?
Assumably a hyphen, as opposite to the rather mystical soft hyphen.)

--
Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/ or http://yucca.hut.fi/yucca.html