Re: Problem trying to validate an HTML document that is on my hard drive. Can it be done?

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 23:08:28 +0100
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Lilla Renfro Slater <lilla@earthlink.net>
On 26.02.00 at 19:27, Lilla Renfro Slater <lilla@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I am trying to use the VALIDATE BY URI option to validate an HTML
>documents on my hard drive, [...] Can I do this, if so, can you give me a
>hand with the syntax please?

Nope, sorry. Unless you are running a web server on your machine, there is
no way that the validator can get a hold of the document. You need to put
it up on a web server somewhere and point the validator at that.

There is code for a file upload function in the validator -- so you can
upload a file from your hard drive to the validator for validation -- in
the patch queue, but it hasn't landed yet (what's up with that, BTW,
Gerald?). Until it does, you'll need a web server to host your pages.

Isn't the file on Earthlink's servers somewhere?