Re: 4.0 to 4.01 Transition Issues

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 06:11:50PM -0500, Christian Smith wrote:
> Problem: The W3 Validator validates a 4.0 Transitional document against
> the 4.0 Transitional DTD but then provides a reference pointing to the
> 4.01 DTD.
>
> Exp: <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.barebones.com/>
>
> Extracted from the HTML generated by this page:
>
> > <li>Document type:
> >       HTML 4.
> >   </a>
> >   Transitional
> > </li>

Sorry about that, fixed.

Er... at least I think so. I need to check with a few other
people here. I'll follow up more tomorrow.

> This is not so much a W3 Validator problem as a W3 problem in that
> apparently W3 has decided to not only remove the 4.0 DTDs that were at
>
> * <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd>
> * <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/frameset.dtd>
> * <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd>
>
> but to actually replace the DTDs that were at this location with the new
> 4.01 DTDs. This is bad. There are now tools out there that generate HTML
> 4.0 Transitional documents with a DOCTYPE of
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
>             "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
>
> But now we have a 4.0 Transitional document with a DOCTYPE that points to
> a DTD that is for 4.01 Transitional.
:

I'll take this up with our communications people; I think it
might just be a symlink pointing to the wrong place in our
filesystem.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny       <gerald@w3.org>  +1 617 253 2920
System Administrator   http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/