Re: Bug in Meta handling

From: Jukka Korpela <Jukka.Korpela@hut.fi>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 17:07:21 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org
On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 17:31:44 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

- -
>Either this a genuine incompatibility between HTML and XHTML, and if so
>then it means the W3C guidelines for making HTML into XHTML are wrong,
>or it is a validator error.

It is a genuine incompatibility. The W3C guidelines are probably not
wrong (I haven't checked them in detail recently), just (possibly)
misleading; they don't emphasize that although the construct like above
is processed in the intended way in most browsers, it is _not_ valid
HTML and thus will not pass validation. For a detailed discussion of the
incompatibility, see my "Empty elements in SGML, HTML, XML, and XHTML",
http://www.hut.fi/~jkorpela/html/empty.html
--
Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/
Qui nescit tacere nescit et loqui