Re: CDATA in elements and attributes

At 04:18 14/04/00 +0200, Terje Bless wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, TimP wrote:
>>The definition of CDATA within SGML depends upon whether it is used
>>in the context of an element content definition or an attribute definition.
>
>Sez who?

http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.2
for a start but  also Goldfarb 4.33 (p140):

Character Data: Zero or more character that occur in a context in which
no markup is recognised, other than the delimiters
that end the charater data. such characters are classified as data characters because rthey are declared to be so.

However the definition of an attribute content model uses the keyword CDATA
to mean 'is reduced by the parser to CDATA', by the replacement of entity  references with their character data values, I have tried to find a concise
definition in Goldfarb, but my brain exploded :)

I don't think we are going to get much further with this, but it has
left me feeling that SGML is broken.

yours
timp

Member of http://www.paneris.org/