RE: Validator results

On Saturday, April 1, 2000 at 23:24, gilkison@one.net (Brian Gilkison)
wrote:

> On 1 April 2000, Christian Smith wrote:
> | ... Simple. I'd like to propose an addition to the feature set of the
> | validator such that the validator would return the results in XML
> | instead of HTML (and I don't mean XHTML).
>
> Lovely sentiment in theory, but bad idea in practice...  Why break the
> validator for any/everyone out there using the validator with a browser
> that doesn't understand XML?  It's difficult enough to get the current
> crop of "leading edge" browsers to reliably display all elements in the
> HTML4 standard, let alone XML...

You miss the point. This wouldn't replace the current results. The
validator would only output this then told specificly to. No reason to
even expose the option to output in this form via the web interface.

It's not my expectation that the xml be parsed by a web browser. I want to
be able to write my own program that gets the data and does something
inteligent with it.

--
Cybernetic Humanoid Responsible for Infiltration and Sabotage