Re: Bug: at W3C HTML Validation Service

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Terje Bless wrote:

> On 29.09.99 at 05:11, Ole Moller <olm@chaos.dk> wrote:
>
> >1) I was one </td> short at a moment but the validator didnt complain.
>
> End tag for TD is optional. You are implicitly closing it.

Practically speaking, this doesn't appear to work for nested tables in
Real Browsers, where </td> must be present to give the desired output.
(Yes, nested tables are a display hack and a great way to crash
 browsers. But ye gods, they're common.)

If tables are nested, IMO it would be sensible for the validator to be
more stringent or issue a warning here.

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>