Re: W3C validator and charset

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 05:21:27AM -0400, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> > 20 Jul 1998 "Alan J. Flavell" wrote:
> > > It appears that the W3C validator doesn't respond appropriately to
> > > documents that are sent to it with a non-iso-8859-1 charset, for example
> > > utf-8.  It rejects octets in the range 128-159 decimal as if they were
> > > illegal, when in this charset they are perfectly legal and indeed
> > > necessary.  Apparently the same would be true with even 8-bit character
> > > codes where this range of octet values is assigned to printable
> > > characters, such as koi8-r, Mac, or Windows codes.
> >
> On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > Found this in my mailbox... I think it's been fixed.
>
> I don't believe so, nor does the changes list for the W3C
> validator show any mention of such a fix.

This has now been fixed, for utf-8 encoded documents.

Sample:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/

Thanks to Martin Duerst and Masayasu Ishikawa for their advice.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny       <gerald@w3.org>  +1 617 253 2920
System Administrator   http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/