Abuse of the W3 Logo

From: Michael Gade <michael@mgade.dk>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:35:50 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Hey all

I'm not a regular reader of this mailing list, but I still have a question. I applyed for a job today at a company called Genio, and after mailing my CV I went by their homepage ( http://www.genio.dk ), and much to my joy all the pages where flagged as Valid HTML 4.0. But the icon was not linked back to W3C. And this made me look at the code only to find it ugly ugly ugly UGLY. HTML 3.2 layout with the entire page inside a giant table, no doctype, no metatags, no nothing. But filled with VLINK, ALINK, BACKROUND and ALIGN tags.

My question is: What do you do about such abuse? I myself go to great lengths just to hold the standard, but this company just slapped on the logo as comercial value.
(In case you wonder, I pulled back my application with a detailed explanation, including links to the HTML 4.0 spec's)

But what is the general attitude? How do YOU deal with companys that just want the puplicity but dont care about the cause? To me its like giving to charity with a check that bounces :)

Regards
Michael Gade

PS: If you reply to this message, please include me in the reply, as I am not "on" this list.