Re: /check/referer should redirect

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:04:54 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org
On 06.09.99 at 23:08, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

>Brian Gilkison wrote:
>
>>The referrer CGI won't work as a bookmark
>
>In its present form, that's true. But it would be a Simple
>Matter of Programming to get it to work as expected
>(by me, at least).
>
>>-- only works correctly if it appears as a link in your "live"
>>documents.  Try changing your bookmark to a URL in the format of: [...]
>
>I want the service to do that for me.

[...]
>In stead of doing a sort of "internal redirect" by
>setting $FORM{uri}, it should return a 304 redirect.

No. Way to much work. What it should do is treat "/referer" as
"uri=[referer]" where "[referer]" is the URI of the referer. In the output,
you check for the referer flag and output the proper URI instead of the
calling URI.

The problem isn't with the validator, but rather with which link you chose
to bookmark. The only change necessary to the validator IMO, is to make it
easier for you to bookmark the right URI.

BTW, the same thing applies for redirects when the redirect handling works
properly again.

--
*** I just switched to a new email client.
*** If you see any format problems in this message, yell. Loudly! :-)

                                             -link