Re: [www-validator] <none>

On 29.10.99 at 10:45, molewis@us.ibm.com wrote:

>I am trying to find a solution to using the validator on some
>100,000 files!  Is there anyway that anyone knows of to check more than
>one file at a time.  I would appreciate any information or advice.

For that number of files you *really* want to run whatever tool you use
locally. The amount of resources consumed is forbidding for any publicly
available service.

The W3C Validator cannot currently do this without a *lot* of hacking. It's
on the TODO list, but no estimates or, indeed, guarantees for it's
completion are available.

At the moment, I would suggest you get the WDG Validator from
<URL:http://www.htmlhelp.com/> and install that locally. It has a recursive
feature that should do what you ask for. However, it probably won't do what
you actually want. It'll faithfully validate all documents in a tree, but
it'll generate one gigantic output file with all results on it. The result
is impossible for humans to parse and will bring most current browsers to
their knees. Dumping the output to a file and post-processing it with
simple perl script might work though.